Please Join Our New Telegram Channel to make sure we stay connected!
Top 6 Food Storage Safety Tips. Photo – Unsplash (PD)
We discovered an article that provides some valuable food storage tips (link is at the end of the page) – and added several of our own on this page.
Food poisoning is a very common illness. It’s usually caused by microorganisms found in food that’s not prepared properly or food that’s not stored properly. It’s a disease that is typically easily preventable if you know how to handle your food very well.
Here are several additional food safety tips:
1. Wash your hands before and after preparing food, especially if you’re handling raw meat and fish. Use a separate chopping board for vegetables and fruits.
2. Pick out the freshest seafood. You’d know if the fish is fresh if:
a. Its eyes are clear and not red.
b. If the flesh bounces back when touched.
c. If it doesn’t smell too fishy (it should smell like the ocean) and the skin is shiny and smooth.
d. If its gills are red.
3. Wash raw vegetables and fruits before using/eating them. Add a cup of vinegar to a bowl of clean water and let the produce sit in it for 10 minutes – then rinse thoroughly. Note the change in color of the water!
4. Wash and disinfect chopping boards regularly. If you want to reuse plastic containers, make sure that they are washed very well. Smell the container. If it smells like leftover food, that means it’s not clean enough. Fill the container halfway with warm water. Apply some dishwashing liquid and mix it well. Let it stay for a few hours. Wash it again and smell the container once more. If it smells clean, then it’s safe to use.
5. Never leave leftover food out overnight or through the hot afternoon. Once it’s cooled, place it in the fridge.
6. If you’re sick, never share your utensils with another person. You can sterilize utensils by boiling them with water to kill any microorganisms.
7. If you’ve tasted meat that seems a bit funky, don’t continue! Stop and spit it out. The meat might be spoiled already. I’ve had this happen to me once, and it ain’t good.
8. If you’re suffering from food poisoning, don’t prepare food for small children and adults because they are more vulnerable to infection. Drink lots of fluids and wash your hands frequently.
Here’s the link to the full tutorial: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/how-to-store-food-safely.aspx
Image For Pinterest:
Graphic – off-grid.info. Image – © Filipebvarela – Fotolia.com
Do You Recognize These 4 Home Security Massive Fails?
I Can't Help Showing This Off:
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique prepping system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try This:
An amazing discovery in an abandoned house in Austin, Texas: A lost book of amazing survival knowledge, believed to have been long vanished to history, has been found in a dusty drawer in the house which belonged to a guy named Claude Davis.
Remember... back in those days, there was no electricity... no refrigerators... no law enforcement... and certainly no grocery store or supermarkets... Some of these exceptional skills are hundreds of years of old and they were learned the hard way by the early pioneers.
We've lost to history so much survival knowledge that we've become clueless compared to what our great grandfathers did or built on a daily basis to sustain their families.
Neighbors said that for the last couple of years Claude has tried to unearth and learn the forgotten ways of our great-grandparents and claimed to have found a secret of gargantuan proportions. A secret that he is about to reveal together with 3 old teachings that will change everything you think you know about preparedness:
More Off-Grid And Survival Resources:
What REALLY Happens When You Bury a Shipping Container? (Hint: It's A Bit Crazy...)
Shipping containers are all the rage - but if you are thinking about buying one, you MUST watch this video first:
There's a general belief that if you bury a shipping container you can create an awesome root cellar / storm shelter / survival bunker.
But is a shipping container strong enough to handle the pressure?
Watch the video to see what happens: