Please Join Our New Telegram Channel to make sure we stay connected!
Looking to ditch the hustle and bustle of the city to reconnect with the great outdoors? Wishing you could build your own cabin but worried about the construction costs and labor that goes into it? Good news – you can use the cabin plans (+ useful tips) offered by Dave and Brooke of Bushradical YouTube channel, to DIY a small (10*12 ft) peaceful and cozy off-grid cabin on the cheap. (PS: You don’t need super-advanced skills to pull this off — just your dedication to the task).
Some of the main considerations include:
• Location: The location is arguably the most important part. It defines the size of the structure and determines whether it serves its purpose. To quote Dave, “pick a spot that feels right… where a cabin feels like it belongs.” Take care to consider what it will be like in different weather conditions, access, safety (under a redwood tree for example puts you at risk of huge falling branches).
• Foundation: With a small cabin, the team suggests that you don’t need to do a “real” foundation. Instead, they used concrete footing pads with wooden piers – and floor joists fitted into notches in the piers.
• Insulation: They used R13 insulation for the plywood floors – good enough to serve the purpose.
• Windows: A great option is to source reclaimed windows still in the frames before starting the build – then these can simply be fitted into the walls.
• Walls: As illustrated in the video, all you have to do is align the top + bottom plates and the 6ft back wall studs where they go, nail everything in place, put it up on the building, flush it, and nail it to the bottom – then repeat for the front wall.
• Rafters: Design one rafter based on the house measurements and use it as a template to make the rest of the roof rafters.
• Roofing and Staining: To cap off their DIY tutorial, Dave and Brooke installed corrugated roof sheets and stained the walls, respectively. This offers protection from the elements.
Watch the video for the full tutorial on how to build a simple off-grid cabin of your own. Keep in mind that it may take longer than you expect and be sure to follow building regulations in your area.
Simple Off-Grid Cabin That Anyone Can Build & Afford. Photo – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOOXmfkXpkM
Do You Recognize These 4 Home Security Massive Fails?
I Can't Help Showing This Off:
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique prepping system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try This:
An amazing discovery in an abandoned house in Austin, Texas: A lost book of amazing survival knowledge, believed to have been long vanished to history, has been found in a dusty drawer in the house which belonged to a guy named Claude Davis.
Remember... back in those days, there was no electricity... no refrigerators... no law enforcement... and certainly no grocery store or supermarkets... Some of these exceptional skills are hundreds of years of old and they were learned the hard way by the early pioneers.
We've lost to history so much survival knowledge that we've become clueless compared to what our great grandfathers did or built on a daily basis to sustain their families.
Neighbors said that for the last couple of years Claude has tried to unearth and learn the forgotten ways of our great-grandparents and claimed to have found a secret of gargantuan proportions. A secret that he is about to reveal together with 3 old teachings that will change everything you think you know about preparedness:
More Off-Grid And Survival Resources:
What REALLY Happens When You Bury a Shipping Container? (Hint: It's A Bit Crazy...)
Shipping containers are all the rage - but if you are thinking about buying one, you MUST watch this video first:
There's a general belief that if you bury a shipping container you can create an awesome root cellar / storm shelter / survival bunker.
But is a shipping container strong enough to handle the pressure?
Watch the video to see what happens: