Here’s an interesting video from The Dutch Farmer, we learn his top 7 tips for starting a farm. He’s very experienced, having worked for numerous farms and starting his own market garden type farm.
1) It’s important to plan well and approach the farm as a business rather than as a hobby. Just “growing a bunch of stuff” and selling the surplus is not the way to success. It’s a huge amount of work and it’s important to separate the fantasy from the reality.
2) Plan your profits. This means getting clarity on what you are trying to achieve, knowing how much you need to earn and having a clear business model. You need to do market research in order to understand what’s in demand.
3) Start generating an income. Too many farmers experiment and try to do too many things at once based on “feel good” factors rather than focusing on that which will generate an actual profit. Make it pay first before expanding your operations.
4) Build good relationships with your customers. This is an area in which small-scale local farmers can excel when compared to giant agribusiness. Dutch Farmer states that making good impressions, being likeable, honest and looking smart are important, as well as the quality of the produce. When customers ask questions, share the story of your farming journey. That personal touch goes a long way.
5) Identify demand before you start growing. Do the research in order to learn who your customers will be and what they are in need of. Dutch Farmer did a survey of potential local customers and asked them directly what they were interested in.
6) Start small with the right equipment. Rather than taking on a huge plot of land, start with a smaller plot and get things dialled in first before expanding.
7) Track everything. It’s important to take notes and keep records. Your data – from dates of harvesting through to the amount of yield and things that could have been done better. Learning which of the crops makes money and which doesn’t will enable you to optimise.
Starting A Farm – 7 Tips For Beginners – Graphic © off-grid.info. Images: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-MeA-W1Ts
Do You Recognize These 4 Home Security Massive Fails?
I Can't Help Showing This Off:
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique prepping system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try This:
An amazing discovery in an abandoned house in Austin, Texas: A lost book of amazing survival knowledge, believed to have been long vanished to history, has been found in a dusty drawer in the house which belonged to a guy named Claude Davis.
Remember... back in those days, there was no electricity... no refrigerators... no law enforcement... and certainly no grocery store or supermarkets... Some of these exceptional skills are hundreds of years of old and they were learned the hard way by the early pioneers.
>> Click here to find out about them now
We've lost to history so much survival knowledge that we've become clueless compared to what our great grandfathers did or built on a daily basis to sustain their families.
Neighbors said that for the last couple of years Claude has tried to unearth and learn the forgotten ways of our great-grandparents and claimed to have found a secret of gargantuan proportions. A secret that he is about to reveal together with 3 old teachings that will change everything you think you know about preparedness:
>>> Click Here To Watch His Short Video <<<
More Off-Grid And Survival Resources:
What REALLY Happens When You Bury a Shipping Container? (Hint: It's A Bit Crazy...)
Shipping containers are all the rage - but if you are thinking about buying one, you MUST watch this video first:
There's a general belief that if you bury a shipping container you can create an awesome root cellar / storm shelter / survival bunker.
But is a shipping container strong enough to handle the pressure?
Watch the video to see what happens:
What Really Happens When You Bury a Shipping Container? (Click To Watch Video)